The iLs methodology integrates music, movement and language exercises for the purpose of improving brain function. iLs programs are designed to be fun, and may be used on their own or in conjunction with other methods.
We train for brain/body integration through a staged approach, starting with the fundamentals of sensory integration and then extending through more complex cognitive functions, including language, self-expression and social skills.
“What we are doing, by targeting subcortical functions, is improving brain organization from the bottom up.” Ron Minson, MD, iLs Clinical Director, in The Brain’s Way of Healing by Norman Doidge, MD.
WHERE IS iLs MOST EFFECTIVE?
- Learning & Attention The iLs Program is customizable for each individual; read more about how the program influences learning, reading, attention and emotional regulation, speech, auditory processing and sensory processing.
- Reading: Fluency & Comprehension
- Fine & Gross Motor Skills
- Sensory & Auditory Processing
- Language Skills: speech, processing, articulation
- Emotional Regulation
- Autism & Developmental Difficulties iLs programs are customized for each individual’s skill and abilities. Symptoms addressed include:
- Social skills
- Emotional regulation
- Sensory Processing
- Auditory Processing
- Attention & Concentration
- Fine & Gross Motor Skills
- Adults iLs is used by students, athletes and professionals of all ages to achieve better attention, mental acuity and motor coordination.
- Focus & Sustained Concentration
- Balance & Coordination
- Multi-tasking: cognitive & motor
- Emotional Balance, Confidence
- Sensory & Cognitive Processing
PROFESSIONALS INTEGRATING ILS INTO THEIR PRACTICE:
Clinical practice and research show iLs to be uniquely effective in the four following areas:
– EMOTIONAL/PHYSICAL SELF-REGULATION: regulates both physical and emotional state
– SELF-CONFIDENCE/SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT: supports confidence, motivation and desire to engage/communicate with others
– SENSORY INTEGRATION: process sensory input easily
– LANGUAGE & COGNITIVE PROCESSING: improves receptive/expressive language, reading and higher executive functions
The iLs Family of Tools Includes:
The Dreampad is a comfortable, therapeutic pillow that helps reduce stress and induce sleep. Controlled by an App, its patented technology delivers music through gentle vibration, and is only heard by the user. The Dreampad is supported by research which suggests that the bone conducted music is activating the body’s relaxation response (parasympathetic nervous system).
Applications: falling asleep and staying asleep, increasing relaxation, reducing stress and anxiety, mindfulness/mediation practice
Safe and Sound Protocol™ (SSP)
Developed by Dr. Stephen Porges, the SSP is a five-day intervention designed to reduce stress and auditory sensitivity while enhancing social engagement and resilience.
By calming the behavioral and physiological state, further therapy is enhanced or even accelerated. The SSP is ideal as an introductory therapy for those experiencing high levels of stress, especially related to trauma, autism and anxiety, as well as those with auditory sensitivities.
Application: trauma and anxiety, auditory hypersensitivity, inattention, behavioral dysregulation, difficulty with social communication, preparation for therapy
iLs Focus™ Series
The iLs Focus Series is iLs’ core therapy: a multi-sensory program which combines auditory, balance and visual exercises. All Focus systems include music programs loaded onto an iTouch, air/bone conduction headphones, and Integration Kit (movement and balance equipment and guidebook). The Focus Series allows clinicians and educators to select specific iLs programs to be loaded onto the iPod for their clients’ needs.
Applications: sensory processing and body organization, learning/academic and attention difficulties, symptoms related to ASD, cognitive efficiency and poor memory, head injury and stroke rehab
The VoicePro is an exciting and unique tool designed to help children and adults improve various auditory processing skills.
The VoicePro is applicable for all ages and abilities relevant to: articulation, phonemic awareness, auditory memory, auditory figure ground and dichotic listening. Therapists working with children on the autism spectrum also use the VoicePro as an effective social training tool.
Applications: auditory processing, receptive and expressive language skills, social engagement, reading/literacy instruction, language and vocal training