Name of Organization: Children’s Therapy of Woodinville, P.L.L.C
Associate Name: Doreen Hunt
Age/Gender of Client: 6-year old female with ASD
Previous Therapies and Programs:
- ABA and OT services on and off since the age of 3
- Speech Therapy
- iLs Sensory & Motor
- Gravitationally Insecure, extremely over-responsive to vestibular sensory input
- Difficulty in auditory and visual sensory processing
- Poor behavioral and state regulation (emotional outbursts, screams, hyper-silly behaviors)
- Difficulty transitioning
- Poor eye contact, poor visual tracking and hand-eye coordination
- Delayed gross motor and bilateral motor planning skills
- Reversed letters and numbers, writing is larger in size
- Improve Vestibular-Visual-Auditory Integration
- Improved self regulation, calm behavior
- Improved attention, learning and participating.
- Improve social engagement
- Eye contact, turn taking
- Flexible behavior to increase friendships and overall happiness.
- Improve Gross Motor skills and Bilateral Motor integration
- Improve fine motor strength and control
- Decrease tremors
- Increase legible, age-appropriate handwriting skills
iLs Programs Used:
- iLs Sensory & Motor program 1-20
- SSP x 5 days
- For one month following the SSP, no sound/music intervention (to determine effects of SSP on functional changes, for research purposes)
- Resumed iLs Sensory & Motor program 20-60
- Repeated SSP x 5 days after 3 months
- Combined program: Sensory & Motor 1-20, Concentration & Attention program 12-40
Summary of Changes:
- More flexible, less fear and rigid behaviors – Improved vestibular processing
- Better vestibular input; able to climb on and off moving equipment more easily and independently.
- Able to explore and play on playground equipment: climbing up ladders, slides, swings
- Improved receptive language speed of processing
- Follows verbal directions more quickly
- Significant increases in expressive language
- Began to use “I” statements, used new words parents had never heard her use before, longer utterances (5-6 word sentences with good pragmatics); had a reciprocal conversation with hairdresser during haircut
- Improved articulation reported by Speech Therapist
Progress following 2nd SSP Program:
- One week later, she learned to hold her breath and swim with her face in the water.
- School work has improved:
- She raised her hand and answered a question to her peers in 1st grade; teacher had never seen this before.
- Doing homework has improved substantially.
- Fewer reversed writing of letters or numbers.
- She followed directions at the doctor and answered all questions appropriately. Pediatrician noticed the significant changes from her last visit.
- She can approach someone, make eye contact and say “Hi, what’s your name?”
- Continued improvements in all functional behaviors, listed above