We hope that over the winter holidays, you take time to relax with family and loved ones. While curling up together, you may want to check out some of the books, movies and TED Talks we at iLs have been enjoying. They will supplement your understanding of the principles of neuroplasticity that drive the effectiveness of iLs. We hope you’ll find them compelling and entertaining.
- Amy Cuddy – Your body language shapes who you are (21 minutes) After recovering from severe head trauma caused by a car accident, Amy Cuddy went on to research body language at Harvard. In this TED Talk, she explains how your body position influences others and even your own brain chemistry.
- Jill Bolte Taylor – My stroke of insight (18 minutes) Neuroscientist Jill Bolte Taylor describes her personal experience of undergoing a stroke and explains her journey of recovery.
- S. Ramachadran – 3 clues to understanding your brain (23 minutes) Ramachadran, a charismatic and creative neuroscientist gives three examples of how scientists understand the workings of the brain by examining curious brain disorders and syndromes.
- Rosie King – How autism freed me to be myself (6 minutes) A short and inspiring talk by a 16-year old calling for people to embrace their uniqueness.
- The Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get it Back by Clark Elliott
- Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep by David K. Randall
- The Polyvagal Theory by Stephen W. Porges
- No One Understands You and What To Do About It by Heidi Grant Halvorson
- The Brain’s Way of Healing by Norman Doidge (iLs is highlighted in Chapter 8)
- The Brain – a terrific new PBS series with neuroscientist Dr. David Eagleman
- Letittripple.org – creative genius Tiffany Shlain makes difficult topics easy to understand with her short, visually appealing films
- Alive Inside – a captivating documentary that explores the healing power of music
- Brain Science Podcast with Ginger Campbell, MD – Dr. Campbell has curated an impressive list of guests to discuss many facets of neuroscience in clear and engaging ways