Reports to: Head of Finance
Unyte’s mission is to create and acquire a suite of effective neural or mind-body solutions that will guide tens of millions of people to happier, healthier and more meaningful lives. Unyte’s initial offering via its first acquisition was an “interactive meditation” product that matches biofeedback technology with immersive digital experiences, making meditation easy to learn, engaging and effective (www.unyte.com). In 2019, Unyte added to its product suite by acquiring Integrated Listening Systems (iLs), a neurotechnology company that integrates auditory, movement and cognitive exercises to improve nervous system and brain function (www.integratedlistening.com). Since the beginning of COVID-19, the team has connected and worked 100% remotely but also has physical offices in Toronto and Denver. Unyte is backed by the Canadian Business Growth Fund, a Canadian private equity investor.
We are in search of someone who can think outside of the box, and who is proactive and detail-oriented, to oversee key financial reporting & analysis processes for Unyte. This person would also assist in advancing the mandate of the Finance function to streamline new and existing processes, and would support and champion key business transformation activities to enhance reporting and business insights, in support of high-quality and timely decision-making within Unyte.
As a member of the Unyte Finance team, the Manager, Finance will work closely with cross-functional teams including Strategy, Product, Sales, Marketing, Technology and Customer Experience. This is an incredible opportunity for someone who wants to be part of growing a purpose-driven company that is making an important difference in people’s lives.
- Ensure timely closing and review of month-end books, overseeing that all transactions, accruals and reconciliations are accurate and in accordance with ASPE;
- Prepare accounting analyses under ASPE to support the appropriate treatment of significant transactions and key risk areas such as revenue recognition, and work with the relevant business groups to ensure the right processes are in place to support these requirements;
- Oversee efficient coordination of certain accounting results and processes from external providers, and consolidate them with other divisions;
- Prepare/review internal and external reporting for business partners who we share costs and revenues with according to predetermined agreements;
- Perform and review recurring and other ad-hoc analyses of business performance to support financial results, decision making and a seamless experience for our customers, which includes liaising closely with other business groups (i.e. cash flow analysis/management, weekly sales and churn %, variance analysis on key FSLIs);
- Champion process changes and policies to increase efficiency and compliance across both financial and operational functions;
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of impactful reporting and dashboards that inform strategic decision-making, highlight risks and opportunities for growth, and serve the broader data needs of the business;
- Be accountable for timely reporting to the leadership team, investors and the Board as required;
- Perform insightful budget-to-actual planning and analysis to assist in managing costs within the business;
- Oversee the process of ongoing sales tax compliance and filings, including liaising with external service providers and tax authorities where applicable;
- Support AR and collections initiatives for overdue accounts by analyzing aging to provide direction to external service providers where applicable; may be required to deal directly with customers or unique situations to gain insight and/or move the effort forward;
- Oversee smooth and timely review and processing of accounts payable;
- Manage treasury/banking setup and needs as required;
- Act as an information and analysis resource to all parts of the organization;
- Oversee coordination of annual and interim audit requests, as well as tax compliance, transfer pricing and other external advisory work; and
- Other support as required.
- Completed CPA designation;
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in full-cycle accounting and finance
- Strong technical accounting knowledge (ASPE is an asset)
- High degree of comfort with financial analysis and excel
- You have experience with business intelligence, including the use of various data/KPI visualization tools;
- You’re personable and have great communication and coaching skills. Your writing is clear and concise, but not robotic;
- You enjoy working outside of your comfort zone and challenging yourself to tackle new problems;
- You enjoy learning and trying out new software/technologies;
- Understanding of and passion for health, wellness and mindfulness industries is a plus.
- An opportunity to work with an experienced leadership team and a proven product portfolio (10+ years of history) to significantly impact people’s lives and wellbeing.
- You’ll be empowered to create and innovate and be given clear ownership of problems and solutions in a progressive, positive, mission-driven work environment.
- Since the beginning of COVID-19, our team has worked and connected 100% remotely leveraging digital tools and systems to virtually see each other, collaborate and socialize. We will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
- We also offer optional group meditation sessions, flexible work hours, and a casual, people-first work environment.
Is This You? Unyte Core Values:
- Asks how can I help?
- Start with listening
- Approaches with genuine mindset and tone
- Makes others feel valued
- Understands different perspectives
- Does what matters
- Seeks to ask and understand why
- Bias for purposeful action
- On time + prepared, brief + clear
- Moves forward, learns by doing
- Speaks up, ask questions with thoughtful intent
- Is proactive
- Is open to new things, fail and learn
- How might we: views problems as opportunities
- Is aware, open-minded and responsible
- Includes the right people at the right time
- Engages others with interest, enthusiasm and joy
- If you see something, say something